According to the U.S. surgeon general, mental health is the successful performance of mental function, resulting in productive activities, fulfilling relationships with other people, and providing the ability to adapt to change and cope with adversity.
The term mental illness refers collectively to all diagnosable mental disorders—health conditions characterized by alterations in thinking, mood, or behavior associated with distress or impaired functioning.
A person struggling with his or her mental health may experience stress, depression, anxiety, relationship problems, grief, addiction, ADHD or learning disabilities, mood disorders, or other mental illnesses of varying degrees. Therapists, psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, nurse practitioners or physicians can help manage mental illness with treatments such as therapy, counseling, or medication.
Mental illnesses are categorized as follows:
Neurosis: Also known as psychoneuroses, neuroses are minor mental illnesses like phobias, obsessive-compulsive disorders, and anxiety disorders, among others.
Psychosis: Psychoses are major mental illnesses in which the mental state impairs thoughts, perception and judgement. Delusions and hallucinations are marked symptoms. This may require the use of psychotic drugs as well as counselling techniques in order to treat them.
- Psychology Articles, Therapy News, and Mental Health Topics
- What is Anxiety?
- Understanding Anxiety
- Should You Try Couples Counseling?
- Is Listening to a Book the Same Thing as Reading It?
- Coping With an Insecure Attachment Style
- The Minds of Plants
- Harm Reduction for Substance Use
- What is sexual addiction?
- What is Hypnosis?
- It Takes Just One Question to Identify Narcissism
- Sex Addiction Symptoms, Causes and Effects
- Therapist Website Design & Brand Image
- Genes Do Shape Behaviors But it’s Complicated
- Why We Are Feeling Lonelier Than Ever
- Young People, Relationships and the Right Amount of (Hard) Work
- Medical Marijuana for Depression, Bipolar Disorder and Anxiety
- How Ketamine Saved Her Life
- It’s Time to Fight Smarter
- How to Survive Your Midlife Blues
- Look Up From Your Screen
- The Psychology of Roller Coasters
- Psychology of Choice
- On Revisiting PTSD
- The Sandwich Generation
- Under Too Much Stress? Some Tips On How to Cope
- Hypnotherapists – What are they and what do they do?
- Alternative Medicine
- 9 Simple Ways to Deal With Stress at Work
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Depression: the most common mental health issue
- Counseling in Tribeca New York City
- Fearing Death
- Hypochondriasis Explained
- Ketamine Infusion Therapy Benefits
- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR)
- How to Get Along With Your Partner
- My Irrational Moral Superiority
- Recognizing Your Stress – Where it Comes from and How to Manage It
- Anxiety Disorders
- More On Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- What Are the Causes of ADHD?
- The Good Ways to Argue
- Do I Have Postpartum Depression?
- How to Argue Effectively
- How to Handle Depression After a Breakup
- Happiness – Cause or Effect
- Depression in Seniors
- Teens & Smartphones, The Downside
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Mental Health Bill, lawmakers tackle federal policies
- The Denial Defense Mechanism
- Dissociative Disorders - A Better Understanding
- Social Drinking vs. Alcoholism - How To Know The Differences
- Married Without Children - Choosing Not To Have Kids
- Does Exercise Help Keep Our Brains Young?